My Photo
Name:
Location: Icking, Bavaria, Germany

I'm a Brittany Spaniel who came from Southwestern France. I'm a very friendly guy who loves to hunt birds and dig for mice. I like to go on adventure hikes and play with other friendly dogs. My dad is my best friend because he is fun, but I love my mom too because she feeds me. They are both crazy about me and I take full advantage of this at all times. My full name is Uben Berndl Tangerine Hertwig. Berndl sounds like my dad's name (Bernd) but with an l which also sounds like Dirndl since I live in Bavaria. Tangerine because I'm orange.

Friday, September 30, 2005

A week with the dogs

Well it has been quite a week around here. Our precious little guest dog Benny got hurt last weekend in a scrap with a Malamute. We are just so thankful he was not killed as the Malamute was oh probably 150 pounds bigger than the Ben man. After 5 trips to the vet he is pretty well patched and stapled up, and was a real trooper about the whole thing. He's a tough little customer who weighs 14 pounds but thinks he's a German Shepherd. We have grown to love the boy who burrows under the covers with us at night.

While dealing with the Benny crisis, one night this week I was cutting up some puten schnitzel for dinner, the phone rang, went to answer it, came back to the kitchen about 10 seconds later, and stood there like a fool looking around for the turkey. Vanished. But there sat Uben licking his chops. Now he is not really big enough to reach food on the counter, but I think he jumps up onto the edge and then lunges. He actually showed a little shame when I told him what a bad, bad dog he was. So there went dinner down Ubi's throat twice in a week. Sigh.

Uben has also as of 2 weeks ago, taken up howling as his new hobby. I can't see any reason for it, but maybe Benny is the inspiration. They are a chorus of two, twice a day, just howling at the air. They stop whenever I go to see what they are howling about, and seem pretty pleased with themselves that they have amused me so.

I read a quote somewhere recently, and I paraphrase....if you don't like dogs maybe there is nothing wrong with you, but there is certainly something wrong with your life. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home