My Photo
Name:
Location: Icking, Bavaria, Germany

I'm a Brittany Spaniel who came from Southwestern France. I'm a very friendly guy who loves to hunt birds and dig for mice. I like to go on adventure hikes and play with other friendly dogs. My dad is my best friend because he is fun, but I love my mom too because she feeds me. They are both crazy about me and I take full advantage of this at all times. My full name is Uben Berndl Tangerine Hertwig. Berndl sounds like my dad's name (Bernd) but with an l which also sounds like Dirndl since I live in Bavaria. Tangerine because I'm orange.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Scammers, scammers everywhere

Earlier this year we were in Munich for some reason, and when we arrived home there was a ton of commotion in our driveway. There were 2 strangers with a big hose, my mother-in-law, and our nephew and niece from next door all standing around talking. Turns out that the 2 strangers came to the door of my mother-in-law and made an offer to power clean the driveway for a mere 800 Euros. Our nephew and niece were trying to stop it when they realized what was going on. The scammers not only were robbing my mother-in-law, but had taken her to the bank to get the money, and she had told the guy her PIN number. Now I tell this only as a warning to the elderly and vulnerable...be wary of those who come to the door.

Set number 2 of driveway powerwashers showed up at the door today. I took awhile getting to the door and by the time I got there they were already talking to my mother-in-law. Flashback. As there is a line in our driveway where the first set of washers stopped, I thought ok maybe I would surprise the husband and get the rest done to match the part that is clean. So I asked about how much. The guy at the door calls his sidekick over who proceeds to tell me what a bad job the previous washers did, how it all needs to be redone, and that THEY would coat the driveway with something (no clue what that was in German) so that this would just in every way be better. Never did get a price for just the 1/4 that I wanted done, but they made the equally astounding offer of 300 Euros. As this might have taken them an hour to do (the driveway is not that big) I politely said no, it was too much money, and turned to go. Sidekick man wanted to debate my decision. Less politely I said (in German) "Was I not clear, I just said NO." He STILL wanted to debate this but the original guy convinced him to leave as it was a sure thing that I was not going to part with the 300 Euros. I guess cleaning the 1/4 that I wanted done was just not worth their time or effort. Funny how they seemed to be less nice upon leaving then when they were trying to get me to open up my Geldbeutel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home