My Photo
Name:
Location: Icking, Bavaria, Germany

I'm a Brittany Spaniel who came from Southwestern France. I'm a very friendly guy who loves to hunt birds and dig for mice. I like to go on adventure hikes and play with other friendly dogs. My dad is my best friend because he is fun, but I love my mom too because she feeds me. They are both crazy about me and I take full advantage of this at all times. My full name is Uben Berndl Tangerine Hertwig. Berndl sounds like my dad's name (Bernd) but with an l which also sounds like Dirndl since I live in Bavaria. Tangerine because I'm orange.

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

I was in Prague of all places on September 11, 2001. I was with 3 friends, and we were starting across the bridge over the Charles River when a young Irish guy with spikes in his face stopped and asked us if we had heard what had happened in New York. The spike in his eyebrow made us not believe a thing he said. My friend called her husband in Munich and we joined with the rest of the world in the horror that was this day. Three out of four of us were in too much shock to even shed a tear, and though we had CNN and could watch it over and over, it just did not seem real. We left Prague via train the next day, and while in the train station a man came over to the 4 of us, and in broken English said that he was very sorry about what had happened to our country. This moment of kindness sent us all over the edge into tears. I did not really fall apart again until my friends flew back to the states....I was ironing and watching the ongoing coverage, and it all came out like a waterfall.
What can one say 5 years later? It is still bone achingly sad watching the observances on CNN, and I still don't and never will understand why my country reacted with a war in Iraq.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

Me, either, Susan. Afghanistan had the world's support behind it, but not Iraq. But now if we pull out, we'll leave it in even worse shape! It's a horrible problem.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home