My Photo
Name:
Location: Icking, Bavaria, Germany

I'm a Brittany Spaniel who came from Southwestern France. I'm a very friendly guy who loves to hunt birds and dig for mice. I like to go on adventure hikes and play with other friendly dogs. My dad is my best friend because he is fun, but I love my mom too because she feeds me. They are both crazy about me and I take full advantage of this at all times. My full name is Uben Berndl Tangerine Hertwig. Berndl sounds like my dad's name (Bernd) but with an l which also sounds like Dirndl since I live in Bavaria. Tangerine because I'm orange.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Oktoberfest 2006

Ya gotta give it to Bavarians when it comes to throwing a big beer bash....no one does it better. Our friends and neighbors, Christel and Norbert, invited us to go with them to Oktoberfest this year on closing night. They were meeting their daughter and her boyfriend and their friends and relatives, and these guys had a table reserved, along with what seemed to be lots of food and beer coupons!
So we hopped on the train with our friends, and rode all the way from our little village since there might later have been drinking and driving issues...well yeah if we went about this all correctly! Here they are on the train on the way in.....
So as we arrived on the train which dumps you right at the fairground, the skies opened up and monsoon hurricane started coming down. We thankfully had an umbrella, but when it is a windy downpour, you might as well just prepare to get wet. We were pretty drenched, but here is the scene when we arrived. This tent (Hacker-Pschorr) holds exactly 6950 people inside, and I'd say the place was pretty danged full. And since it was pouring rain, maybe even some of the 2400 from outside came in and joined us in what turned out to be a big, steamy sauna! BUT, the music is loud, the dirndls are fantastic, the food is actually good, the people seem to like the beer, and the company was great, so I have nothing to add other than it was some rip-roaring fun. And I can't remember ever seeing Bernd quite so wild and jumpy! If you hate crowds, I'd say avoid the place. But if you want to get rowdy once a year, for sure come to Munich. There's no better place. In general I'm not a fan of German beer drinking music, but it is so perfect in this setting that you just really would not want to hear much else.

Some various photos:



The tent started leaking due to the downpour. No big deal, just pop open the umbrella.




Christel collecting chicken bones for her cats. I think it was not that much fun carrying that bag around, but it made us all laugh. We tried to sell them on the way out, but no takers.

Me and a Bavarian guy who has had a liter or two of beer. He's been working way too much and too many hours and I'd say he really needed this buzz...until the next morning when the dogs wanted to take a big walk and work called again......

This is Yvi, Christel and Norbert's oh so cute daugher, and her equally cute boyfriend Stefan. We love Yvi around here. She is also our veterinarian. She's gentle and sweet and smart and speaks really good English. These two are getting married (and I think this is a good thing...they will have very cute, very blonde children), but I told Stefan that our dog Uben is still Yvi's best friend. Stefan wants to be her best friend, but Uben slid in there already. So ist das.



At the end of the evening since this was the closing night of Oktoberfest, sob, they passed out sparklers, dimmed the lights, and the whole tent fired up. It was dramatic and something to see. My photo does not do a good job of capturing it, but I also have a movie so if you want to come by and see it, complete with music, come on over. I had the thought that this would never happen inside in North America due to potential fire. I wondered for a millisecond if it was really safe, but decided it would be a good way to go if it was time.

Christel, Norbert and Yvi, thanks so much for taking us along for the ride. It was a great night even though we couldn't unload those bones. Let's go again next year with bigger umbrellas and raingear!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for really bringing me there with your wonderful post -- I've always wanted to go! The closest I ever came was the Uhland hotel, a half block away, in early September, 2004, while they were setting up but before they opened. :-(

Carol

8:46 AM  
Blogger J said...

I went to Oktoberfest a few years ago, but wasn't able to get into one of the big tents. I had to sit outside on the terrace with just about all of Italy, but it was cool.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I finally get to see a beer tent! How many masses did you drink?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I've never been to Oktoberfest, but next year should be no problem. We're moving in a month to a small Bavarian village (me, the man of my dreams and our dog ;-D ).

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home